Friday, May 13, 2005

Now, Use the Word "Bippy"

Sometimes marketing makes me very happy.

Watching Law and Order the other day - no basketball to cancel it - I saw a commercial for Aspercreme. I don't think I have ever paid attention to an Aspercreme commercial before; I vaguely remember the "there's no aspirin in Aspercreme" thing they had going on a few years ago.

This commercial's tag line was "You Bet Your Sweet Aspercreme!"

Genius.

This will make them millions.

You can see a quick screen grab of the tag line here [scroll down]. I searched but could not find a video of the commercial online.

The response in the blog-world has not been very positive (half the reason I'm writing this).

From the Parents' Message Board:
Part of me chuckled for a second, but I do think it is in poor taste, especially during shows that are supposed to be safe viewing for everyone.
From JeffBlogworthy.com:
I am not calling for a boycott, but now when I walk into a store and see the name "Aspercreme®" I am going to associate it with negative feelings (feelings are oh-so-important in the public arena now) and I will not feel like buying their product. The ad is just plain tacky.
Of course, that one is from a blog whose subtitle is "You might be a LEFTneck if ...," so make your own judgments. But I do applaud his use of the "restricted" symbol.

I agree that this may turn some people off, they're running it during Wheel of Fortune for chrissake. However, younger people get aches and pains and also age - and this ad campaign will be remembered.

Frankly, the next time I have an ache or pain, I'm buying the product that I can take home and say to friends, "It's the ASS product! You know, from TV! You bet your sweet ASS-percreme!"

Marketing rules.

1 Comments:

At 6/02/2005 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I nearly choked, then laughed and thought that it will never be shown again....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home