Tuesday, April 05, 2005

He Talks Pretty All Night

It's the best part of my job.

My job introduces me to so many new artists - the music I listen to, the books I read, a good portion of it comes from my job.

I didn't know about author David Sedaris until I started working at the auditorium and we presented him. That was 8 years ago. He's quite a popular author - his latest book "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim" went to #1 on the New York Times Bestseller list.

To give you an idea - we put tickets for this show on sale in November. We listed him on our website - and the show was listed on the website of his agent. We did no other advertising, and the show sold out, 1530 tickets.

His stories pull a lot of information from his family life. They are hilarious. It's hard to describe what he does - he takes seemingly normal (sometimes not so normal) situations, and twists them into tales that will make you laugh out loud. It's very hard to explain, you simply have to read it to appreciate it.

No author has made me laugh out loud as much as David Sedaris. Do yourself a favor and buy one of his books. If he's in your town, go and see him - he's even funnier live. Hell, get a book from the library if you don't trust me, you'll soon be hooked.

It's hard to describe, but I watched him read - new stories - on stage and just laughed for over an hour solid. It felt so good - it really refreshes you. How often do you have a chance to be so happy for that length of time?

I am always impressed with the dedication he has towards his fans. He signs books after every performance. A lot of authors do that, but he takes the time to talk with every one, and to ask where they are from, or what they are studying or if their brothers are homosexual. His show on stage ended at 9:30pm, he was signing books until 12:30am. (hence my late late late posting.)

My boss and I walked him from his hotel to the auditorium - he prefers that to a cab. And we just chatted on the way over - about all the Pope coverage, the crazy things he deals with on tour, whatever.

It's very refreshing to have such an easy show to work. Almost no technical demands, just a podium and a microphone - no catering - almost no transportation. No ad plans and promotion details. If only there were more shows like Sedaris.

Some links (you can read some of his stuff on Amazon.) Novels:
Naked
Me Talk Pretty One Day
Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim

Tour Schedule

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home